Welcome to Lent 2013!

(…and your burden is light!)

A 40-day Lenten Blog on Taking Ownership of the Purse You've Been Given

Welcome to the 2013 Lenten Blog for All Saints Episcopal Church!


During the next 40 days, we hope you'll ben enriched by the daily readings from Forward Day by Day and a commentary about our bags. Bags? Keep reading sister or brother…Just like Austin Powers in the hilarious movie of the same name, we often deny the contents of our briefcase! Lent is a wonderful time to remember that God fills our supply sack daily with all the resources, tools and strengths we need to bless others. Maybe its our Lenten calling to take ownership of our purse!


It IS our bag, baby!


This Lent, be challenged to read God's word, pray to be a blessing and eagerly await the opportunity to open your bag.

Join in and see what surprises God has given you to help others out.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 26


For Today's Forward Day by Day readings Click Here.

If I had two tools to use out of my bag today it would be Umbrella and Raincoat! It is a wet one today in Northeast Florida.

Instead we're going to continue inspecting the contents of our bag's Complete Set and take a look at Kindness. Where Faithfulness is big and hammer-like and Love is a big wet blanket, Kindness is light and lovely. In my mind, I imagine a Hawaiian lei...  real dainty-like and sweet and well received.


I went on a Hawaiian cruise many many moons ago with my grandparents and remember getting "lei-ed" upon arrival. It was such a nice surprise, and having that little piece of sweet smelling beauty around my neck made me feel very special and welcomed. So maybe that's why I think of leis when I think of the Kindness tool. It's sweet, simple and natural and makes people feel...special.

I got lei-ed, in fact, last night....at the dinner table of all places. And don't worry, I'm not talking about THAT kind of lay. Last night, I made what had to have been the worst dinner I've made of all time. The worst. I put some ground beef and onions and a few other ingredients (including too much water) in the crock pot that morning. When I came home from work, it smelled like dog food in our house. But I pressed on, even deciding to forge ahead with serving it to my family...armed with a strainer spoon. I dumped it on top of fritos and tried to call it "my new chili." Thank GOD my family made a conscious effort to use their own Kindness tools at the dinner table. No one fake gagged. No one made a face. Pleaseant conversation ensued. Someone asked non-chalantly where I'd gotten the recipe. Others dug deep for a dry frito. No one took more than a couple of bites. And they complimented the HECK out of my Sister Shubert rolls.

Thanks for the lei, family. Thanks for choosing Kindness over the powerful, but not so helpful, tool Criticism.

In today's reading we see how Jesus uses his Kindness tool to heal the official's son who is sick in another town. Part of Kindness also asks us to use it with words like, "sure" or "of course" or "I'll do it." Kindness is served up with no strings attached, no conversation about what you're giving up to do it. Or how it makes you want to barf. It's just a light, lovely bit of God's love that makes someone else feel special...even relieved.

I'll be praying for everyone to experience a good lei today.


No comments:

Post a Comment