Welcome to Lent 2013!

(…and your burden is light!)

A 40-day Lenten Blog on Taking Ownership of the Purse You've Been Given

Welcome to the 2013 Lenten Blog for All Saints Episcopal Church!


During the next 40 days, we hope you'll ben enriched by the daily readings from Forward Day by Day and a commentary about our bags. Bags? Keep reading sister or brother…Just like Austin Powers in the hilarious movie of the same name, we often deny the contents of our briefcase! Lent is a wonderful time to remember that God fills our supply sack daily with all the resources, tools and strengths we need to bless others. Maybe its our Lenten calling to take ownership of our purse!


It IS our bag, baby!


This Lent, be challenged to read God's word, pray to be a blessing and eagerly await the opportunity to open your bag.

Join in and see what surprises God has given you to help others out.

Monday, March 18, 2013

March 18


For today's Forward Day by Day reading, Click Here.

Contentment is another underused but important tool in the bag. I try to use mine, but wish I would with more consistency. In my haste of looking forward and imagining how it will be "when" or how it would be "if," I sometimes forget to just bloom where I'm planted. We don't make ourselves extraordinary, that's God's job, right?

I love the reading today from Romans 9:

"But who indeed are you, a human being, to argue with God? Will what is molded say to the one who molds it, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one object for special use and another for ordinary use?"

So instead of wondering how great I'd be if I were a professional volunteer, or a brawny tennis player or a world renowned published writer or a style maven, or the most respected professional in my field, or a bad a** runner, or a mom with all the right moves...maybe I should just throw a little Contentment at myself and remember one important fact: I am NOT the potter.

In fact...I have some very saweet mom moves. I often remember what days I'm supposed to pack the lunchbox without being reminded! I run slow. So. What. I have a great job, it came to me like an angel blessing! I can still rock my 10-year-old Juicy sweatpants, yes indeedy. I AM a published writer, hello? Maybe not world renowned, but known by a few blog readers, right? I don't even want to play tennis that badly. I would go crazy, I think, volunteering my time any more than I do currently. So lucky me.

Perhaps Contentment looks like a wad of that ugly art room clay. That brown, heavy earthy-smelling cloddy stuff. It's a good reminder that Contentment is all we can use or be when the Potter is at the wheel. We have no say how we're going to be used, so why not just be happy in the circumstances we've been given?



No comments:

Post a Comment